Led the UX efforts to develop one of VR’s most popular social networks, acquired by Microsoft
Led UX on the Content team by developing a vision for mobile friendly social publishing tools
Helped increase site-wide mobile performance on a property with over 1 billion pageviews per month
I use pen and paper to solve complex digital interaction problems
Developed several Google VR apps to complete the Udacity VR Developer Nanodegree program
Refreshed the brand experience and acquisition UX, paving the way for massive user growth
Improved the product experience to help drive user growth from 80 to 180 million users
I designed several iterations of our mobile app, which allowed users to easily access VR.
The app allowed people to keep up-to-date with activities and friends.
I had to make a UI that worked on touch devices as well as in VR.
For the core VR experience, I developed a menu system that allowed users to connect as friends.
Once the basic features were in place, we experimented with notifications features to keep people engaged.
I developed a complete set of mobile-first concepts for the user generated content component of FANDOM.
It was important that the UI could encompass both use cases for power users as well as new contributors.
The mobile editing concepts were driven by simpler edits involving page fixes or flagging errors.
Edits were associated with prompts that would aggregate in feeds on the community home page.
I wanted to make sure we added a touch of fun to the experience so I collaborated with one of my teammates on some happy illustrations.
In the model I developed, the "health" of the community was determined by elements that were required for optimal mobile performance.
At FANDOM, I helped design tools that made popular sites like Wookieepedia perform better on mobile.
One of the first things our team tackled was making header information display better on mobile.
We also created tools that allowed content creators to edit content from their phones.
The result of the mobile first approach was page content that was formatted optimally on mobile phones.
When designing mobile responsive interfaces, I have to think through flows and how they roll up from mobile to desktop.
Other times, I'll be thinking about how different types of users might require different sets of features to fullfill their needs.
Sketching definitely helps me think through my ideas and keep concepts clear and concise.
Sometimes my sketches can contain big and small ideas on the same page.
Other times I have to break ideas out into three dimensions to understand spatial relationships of objects.
Overall it's useful to visualize and map out various components of a system.
For my final project in the Udacity VR Developer Nanodegree program, I built a game called "Ready Pirate One."
The game featured a gaze-based waypoint navigation system allowing players to move around a virtual world.
Users navigate around the islands, picking up coins and maps to advance to higher levels.
The winners of the game find themselves surrounded by sparkling treasure...
Early on, I was responsible for our company rebrand (2010) that involved logo design, brand guidelines, and branded product interface.
As my role evolved, I became responsible for the primary product acquisition funnel. As we hired more folks to help, I personally built and managed many websites and product interfaces.
Shortly after the company rebrand, I updated the product interface to reflect the new branding.
The remote client interface featured a simplified UI that users could pair with their PC and access remotely.
I helped integrate web interface directly into the product UI by combining mobile responsive elements with the client app SDK.
The new system allowed users to “upgrade” the content by opting into various options set by the content creator.
The system integrated seamlessly on both desktop and mobile clients.
Request Case Studies